It’s about to be hiking season in Colorado! Well, mostly. We still have a ton of snow at higher elevations, so anything above tree-line right now may be wet and very muddy. I have biffed it on mud patches before – not so much fun.
I know (or hope) many people are planning trips to Colorado this summer, (Assuming the virus that shall not be named is under control) so thought I’d share a list of favorite hikes through-out our fine state – compiled from my friend Debbie who is an avid hiker and a few of the my faves as well! There are so many, but decided to keep it at 25. BTW, these are not prioritized by beauty or personal preference – these are all pretty amazing!
Rather than describe all of them, I would look to the AllTrails app for descriptions, distances, trailhead locations, trail conditions, etc. If you find yourself in Colorado, we hope you give a few of these a go! Feel free to comment with your favorites as well – we THINK we know all of the hotspots, but I am SURE we left a few off the list!
- Grey Rock (out of Ft Collins)
- Devils Causeway loop (out of Steamboat)
- Smith Lake (out of Steamboat)
- Fish Creek Falls (out of Steamboat)
- Devil’s Head Fire Tower Lookout (out of Sedalia)
- Missouri/Fancy Pass Loop (out of Vail)
- Booth Creek Falls (out of Vail)
- Gore Creek Trail (out of Vail)
- Pawnee Pass (out of Brainard area)
- Copper to Frisco on the Gore Range/N Tenmile Creek Trails (out of Frisco)
- Mount Sneffles (14 er out of Ouray)
- Ice & Island Lakes (out of Ouray)
- Blue Lake & beyond (out of Ouray)
- Aspen 4 Pass Loop or any segment of the loop (out of Aspen)
- Mount Sanitas (out of Boulder)
- Handies Peak (14 er out of Lake City)
- Black Lake (out of Estes)
- Twin Sisters (out of Estes)
- Rustlers Gulch (out of Crested Butte)
- Scarp Ridge (out of Crested Butte)
- Herman Gulch (out of Silver Plume)
- Lost Creek Loop (out of Denver)
- Chicago Basin (out of Silverton)
- Mount of the Holy Cross (14er out of Minturn)
- Mohawk Lakes (out of Breckenridge)
In case the rest of our travels are cancelled, I plan on hitting as many of these as I can this summer!
…i choose this….